Thursday, January 8, 2009

Setting the Right Mindset...

"Let us not be content to wait and see what will happen, but give us the determination to make the right things happen."

This quote is a prayer by Peter Marshall, Senate Chaplain, offered at the opening of the session on March 10, 1948. It seems so wise and enlightening, inspiring, and even motivating to the point where one feels that pull deep inside to bring justice and righteousness to a world we envision to be lacking in such areas. I, too, have a great desire to be an impact in my time in Zambia, and actually in life in general for I have always heard a calling from deep inside my soul that cries out and demands that I leave this world enhanced in some capacity, whether great or small, from when I first came into it. For this reason, I have a heartfelt attachment to this quote, and many maxims similar to it, as I long for such a legacy. Marshall's words encourage me to do, make, mend, build, and affect in any way I can as soon as I can. 

For such attachment, I feel betrayed by my own pride. God does not call us to do His will in this way, and if we are to truly impact the lives of those we meet in our time away, we must do the exact opposite of what Marshall would have us do. Other cultures do not approach life in the same way, with the same mindsets, that we do. We look upon the world, upon what is different, and we see potential. We see opportunity for change, improvement, and correction. We critique, think of other and "better" ways to do things. These ways are "faster", "better", "more efficient", "less costly", "stronger". As I analyze my surroundings, I cannot help but want to DO. I cannot help but desire to HELP. Unfortunately, this often means that I fail to truly UNDERSTAND, and if we as a team are to make any difference in the lives of these people we will live among we must WAIT, BE PATIENT, and TRUST that what needs to be done, if anything, will be done. All will be accomplished in due time, and that due time is actually HIS due time. The Lord's timing is the only timing that matters in this world, regardless of how meticulously I schedule my day or how punctual I arrive at an engagement. 

The places we will go will not run on such a hurried pace, and though problems may be dire and a needing desperate change, my first duty is to RESPECT, WAIT, and LISTEN to the people, the situations, and circumstances before ACTING or DOING or HELPING. Only in this manner do I believe I could truly understand the people and be ready to provide assistance, if such assistance is still needed. Changing my typically Western Culture mindset will not be easy, but it is most necessary and the sooner I put these words into the practice, the more effective I can be.

2 comments:

  1. hey man
    I made a blog too, so you can keep tabs on whats going on over here in my life haha.
    Im praying for you to arrive safely in Zambia, and hope to here from you soon.
    Much love,
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Michael, as you travel and start your new adventure in Zambia. :o) Mom Weiland

    ReplyDelete