Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 16th, 2009

Today I received a message from one of my closest of friends. As I had jokingly done with many friends back home, I promised to bring him back some African wildlife. His choice was a lion. Much to my dismay, no wild lions are to be found prowling the streets of Choma. I don’t know what I’m going to say to him when I return empty handed. “Sorry that I promised to bring you the most ferocious animal in the world and failed, not because I was unwilling or inept or without the courage to go out into the bush with a chair and whip to tame it myself, but because they just don’t have many right now at the local flea market. The only ones they do have are young and without mane.” Just look at it this way. If I am going to import any Kings of the Jungle, they sure as Hades better look and act the part. I mean, what would it say about my discretion if I just bring him back an itty bitty cub that would be in danger of being beaten up by my two drastically over-fed, lazy house cats? Well, the answer is “not much”.

Anyways, this friend that I promised such a wild gift upon my arrival back in the States told me that he was praying for me. Before this message, he had only told me this once before. It was the on the eve of my journey to Africa, at Buffalo Wild Wings. Usually, I consider it very caring and thoughtful when I hear those words from anyone. I know they mean it, and I do appreciate it very, very much. Coming from this individual, however, those words mean so much more. The reason why what he said, twice, means so much to me stems from the nature of our friendship.

He is one of my best friends, and has been for many years now. We played soccer together and took all the same classes in High School. We have many of the same friends. We visit each other’s house regularly. He is one of the guys who was nicest to me when I first moved from Tennessee to Indiana before my freshman year at Marion. The only area I ever felt out of place or lacking in our friendship was in our spirituality. He knows I am a Christian. He knows I go to a conservative school at Indiana Wesleyan University. He is very familiar with the rules and lifestyle at my school. I know that he believes in God and I always thought about and guessed about his faith. However, for some reason we never really talked about it much. To be honest, I cannot say for sure what exactly he believes. My BEST FRIEND! I feel very disheartened by this and I am so discouraged by the idea of not knowing such a crucial part of the life of someone I consider to know so well. It hurts me, at this very moment, to think about how cowardly I have been to not even bring it up. Even now I hesitate to bring this out in the open, being vulnerable where I know he will see.

So to you, best friend, who has so often accepted me as family, I tell you this:

Your prayers mean more to me than you could ever know. Just the fact that I am comforted more by your statement that you will keep me in your prayers than by anyone else’s brings me peace. I want you to know this. So, in return, I would have you know that I, too, am praying for you. No matter where you are, whether it’s at the Sig Ep house or at Taco Bell getting a couple chicken quesadillas, always with extra jalapeno sauce, or back at home playing with Kona, you are in my prayers. I love you as a brother. I can’t wait to see you when I have finished what God has planned for me here in Zambia. I miss ya man.

~ Bravages

3 comments:

  1. So I just read all the entries - so fun to imagine your world as you talk about people and places and foods and sounds. You were on a roll too - I can hear your voice and sarcastic humor in your words - love it!!

    Keep it up - I know photos will not be up - w/ limited internet.

    Send some heat out way - we are at zero!! and below for wind chills - you all enjoy that sunshine and liquid version, too! God's hand to you this day. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I just read your entry and I wanted to let me know that you have brought me to tears. That was one of the coolest things anyone has ever said about me or to me. We will have that talk when you get home. I have been going through a lot with regards to my relationship with Christ and I would love to talk with you about it, best friend. I have thought about you a lot especially while skiing. The mountains were so beautiful today. I know you would have loved it. Still praying for you.

    Ill talk to you later on.

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    Just wanted to let ya know that I'm prayin' for ya and hope you're having the time of your life!

    Stormie

    ReplyDelete